Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Bacon Wings and Science Tuesday

Technically, it was last night, and I'm just now posting it, but anyway:

I'm all about mods to diversify and improve the flora and fauna of Skyrim, such as: Improved Fish, Harvestable Elves Ears and Frost Mirriam, Harvest Overhaul, skyBirds, Birds of Skyrim, and so on.

One of the bird mods that I have has added a lot more hawks in a lot more regions... especially Solitude. Solitude has so many birds that it seriously needs its own weather effect, replacing rain with a flurry of bird poop bombs. It's fantastic for hunting hawk parts, however, so every time I pass through, I try to shoot a few down. Usually, that's fine and dandy and nothing goes wrong, but last night, I fired an arrow into a hawk and hit the magic button that turned its wings into bacon.


It was amazing. It made a bacon bridge from the point in the sky where the hawk was shot to the place where it would have landed had it fallen like a normal bird would. It kind of just teleported to the road.


What made this even more amazing (and sadly, even though I thought about stopping to record this event, I didn't) was that, when I pressed and held the E button to drag the corpse, the wing literally retracted like releasing tension on a rubber band. It shot the bird corpse into oblivion (well, way out into the Sea of Ghosts anyway.) It was the most glorious slingshot ever... I only wish I had looted the corpse first.

==============

In other news, I had a real life glitch occur a moment ago... I filled the ice trays with water and put them in the freezer. About an hour later, I opened it to get out some of the already-made ice to cool off my coffee and, lo and behold, I found this little arctic boner:



I ran across the entire house to grab my ipad so I could get pictures of it. My future sister-in-law has just informed me via facebook that "apparently, this is a thing." They're called Ice Spikes! I like my name better... but there is a science behind how they form. I had imagined it'd be something like this, but apparently it's super rare for ordinary tap water to make these. Typically, people pouring distilled water into ice trays get them in abundance, but tap water almost never yields them. I feel special!

Here's a link to the article she sent me, it's really cool! Bad pun is bad!!

Link: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/icespikes/icespikes.htm

~ M.D. Hammond~

No comments:

Post a Comment